Pages

Tuesday 6 October 2020

The Audiobook of the Triffids

“When a day that you happen to know is Wednesday starts off by sounding like Sunday, there is something seriously wrong somewhere.”

No matter how many times I read it that opening line still gives me chills.  I first read Wyndham's masterpiece as a teen having watched and loved the 1981 TV show (US / US) and with little chance then of ever seeing it again.  It was love at first read. In fact, it was love at first sentence.

Over the intervening years (decades) I've read it more times than I care to mention and for some reason that I've never quite worked out but mostly I suspect because I can't walk past a copy I've amassed a collection of 25 different editions of the book including one in Dutch and in case you're wondering, no, not a word.

It's the story of Bill Masen and Josella Playton as they navigate a devastated world full of newly blinded people being occasionally preyed upon by genetically engineered and very murdery walking plants.  Written in the aftermath of the Second World War the book reflects Wyndham's wartime experiences watching over a London devastated by nightly bombings and muses over still depressingly relevant topics such as catastrophic civil breakdown, social change, genetic modification and even satellite warfare.

Buy the book here - UK / US.

Buy the audiobook here - UK - or listen below.



..........................................................................................

Associate links are included here for your convenience and to help mitigate the running costs of the zine.
If you enjoy what we do here on Wyrd Britain and would like to help us continue then we would very much welcome a donation towards keeping the blog going - paypal.me/wyrdbritain

2 comments:

  1. I've also read this time and again since I first came across it in the 70s. It's incredibly well written and is almost a comfort blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It absolutely is both of those things. It's good to meet another addict.

      Delete