Pages

Tuesday 5 February 2019

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances

Neil Gaiman
Headline

This has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years now but I've just not had the urge for it.  I finally got the urge today.

Like his other anthologies 'Trigger Warning' is a mix and match of stories and poems with the latter feeling less onerous than usual - I'm not really all that into his poetry but I read all of these and never felt put off by them.

The stories are where my interests lie though and this book is filled with goodies although without any real standouts.  There are a couple of  things I've already read such as 'The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains' - which was also issued as a graphic novel with art by the amazing Eddie Campbell - and his 11th Doctor story 'Nothing O'Clock'  featuring the paper mask wearing 'Kin'.  Around these are a few notables - the fairy tale redux of 'The Sleeper and the Spindle', the palpable loss experienced in 'Down To A Sunless Sea',  the revelatory nature of 'Adventure Story', another of his twists of the Holmes mythos in 'The Case of Death and Honey', the supremely creepy 'Feminine Endings' and the wonderfully daft 'And Weep Like Alexander'.  The book ends with an American Gods tale with Shadow being as annoyingly dull as ever.  It's not a bad way to end the book, the story is pleasingly chilling with a solid arc but a frustrating lead character.

In all a good read.  I'm glad it's been sat on my shelf all this time because it came into it's own today.

..........................................................................................

If you enjoy what we do here on Wyrd Britain and would like to help us continue then we would very much appreciate a donation towards keeping the blog going - paypal.me/wyrdbritain

No comments:

Post a Comment