Friday, 11 September 2026

Featherfall

Wyrd Britain reviews 'Featherfall' by Jerry Ibbotson.
Jerry Ibbotson

There's an angel living in suburban York. He's turned his back on his old life to become a husband and father. But darkness threatens, and his old boss wants him back in the fold. Angry, jealous Gods are after him to fulfil a prophecy that would unstitch creation. There's another on his trail: an ancient guardian of this land who's hunting an angel for reasons of his own. Who will reach him first, and at what cost? The answer will come at Midsummer, in the shadow of the mighty Minster. Featherfall is coming; the future of humanity hangs in the balance. 

Jerry contacted me a little while ago about giving his book a read and I happily agreed but with the caveat that I'd probably be very slow getting around to it - my TBR pile has its own postcode - and that proved to be the case, which is a shame because it turned out to be fabulous.

Urban fantasy is a genre I dabble in on occasion, more in the past than now, as my preference is for a deep dark wood or ye olde settings of yore - which, now I think on it, does perhaps include the likes of York - but when it's done well, I'll happily go along for the ride and I settled into my seat quite quickly here.

There's an angel living in York; he's renounced his wings, gotten married, and started a family.  He still dabbles in an occasional miracle or two, but its the quiet life for him - spoiler, it's not.  Things are afoot and forces, both malign and benign, are converging on the city including an ancient, demon hunting Celt who's feeling a tad ticked off with his lot in life and wants a quiet word with this angel.

Jerry has an engaging style and he teases out his story beautifully, populating it with characters whose actions are honest and real.  There's nothing here I would change. The story has room to breathe, and the finale is expansive, consequential, and most importantly satisfying.

For a debut novel, it's a stunning achievement, and his next one will go straight to the top of the TBR mountain. 

..........................................................................................

If you enjoy what we do here on Wyrd Britain and would like to help us continue, then we would very much welcome a donation towards keeping the blog going - paypal.me/wyrdbritain

Affiliate links are provided for your convenience and to help mitigate running costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment