Pages

Sunday 8 September 2019

Mrs Amworth

Mrs Amworth
Adapted from an E.F. Benson story of the same name 'Mrs Amworth' is a modern vampire tale that finds the titular lady - played with flamboyant aplomb by the fabulous Glynis Johns - both beguiling and terrorising a small English village but finding her match in retired professor  Francis Urcombe (John Phillips).

Apparently made as part of a series of 6 adaptations by the likes of L.P. Hartley, Robert Bloch, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, D.H. Lawrence and Issac Asimov called 'Classics Dark and Dangerous' it seems to have only made it to screen here in the UK for one brief half hour back in 1975 although the various episodes were later amalgamated into two straight to video movies - in this case 'Three Dangerous Ladies'.
(My thanks to the good folks over at the 'Taliesin Meets the Vampires' blog for providing this info)

There're no real chills here but it's got some great music and it's tiny run time means not a second is wasted with a cast of rock solid character actors playing very much within type to produce an understated but fun little treat.

Buy it here - Rare Chills - The Fear Makers:Shadow Of Death & Supernatural:Mrs Amworth [DVD] - or watch it below.



..........................................................................................

If you enjoy what we do here on Wyrd Britain and would like to help us continue then we would very much appreciate a donation towards keeping the blog going - paypal.me/wyrdbritain

4 comments:

  1. I remember watching Mrs Amworth years ago when I was still at school. I think that it was on TV one Thursday night. I thought that it was really good. I looked up the trilogy that it was part of (Three Dangerous Ladies). The Maniken, I think that I remember reading in a reprint of a Weird Tales story. The Island, or a version of it, I remember being on the TV one Saturday night back in the 1970's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got Three Dangerous Ladies saved here but i haven't had chance to check it out yet. looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough, I saw this, first, in high school here in the US around 1979. I was going to school in Florida at the time and on Fridays we’d be shown film adaptations in English class. “Mrs. Amworth” was one of the films, but how a print of it wound up in a public school classroom in Florida is still surprising/complexing to me, though I’m glad it happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂 that's awesome. It must have been like a transmission from another world. Kudos to the teacher. The only film I ever remember being shown in school was The Phantom Tollbooth (around 1980/81) which was great fun.

      Delete